Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Try it on

At work today the youth presented what they had learned this summer in their cooking, gardening and teaching programs. It was so inspiring and moving. I know that the type of work we are doing is making a difference.

One of our norms is to "Try it on." In practice, it means trying new things and being open to the possibility of being surprised by what you discover.

I found myself manning the sandwich table, since I didn't really have a hand in planning the event. Ironically, even though all summer our youth had been learning to "Eat a Rainbow" (different colors of fruits and veggies), when choosing sandwiches, several stayed away from the delicious grilled veggie sandwiches. A couple peered at them curiously.

"Try it on," I urged them. "You might be surprised."

I had been hearing over and over how much the youth had been affected by their summer. Yet the sweetest moment to me was when one young man bit into a grilled veggie sandwich. He looked at me, smiled widely, and said, "That's just veggies?? It's so good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment