Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A wake up call

No, this is not another post about how I overslept. Thankfully (knocking on wood currently), that has only happened to me once during my tenure as an employed adult. This is about the other type of wake up call. 

This evening, I was raving to my friend about how much I was enjoying riding my bike. She then asked me if my helmet was fitting right. "What do you mean?" I asked. "When you were riding up to meet me," she said, "it looked pretty loose."

I put my helmet on my head. It felt pretty snug to me. It was tightened as much as possible. With one swift move, my friend knocked it off of my head. "It's gotta go," she insisted. She then pointed out the date inside my helmet (2008...who knew that helmets expired??) and said a new helmet was way past due. In that moment, I almost wanted to argue with her. After all, I don't want to spend money on a new helmet, and I don't want to miss a day of biking now that I've gotten back into it. But underneath my initial frustration, I heard her loud and clear. I'm lucky to have friends in my life that insist I don't sleep on the important stuff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment