Monday, August 19, 2013

Newbie

Today at work, I was trying to schedule a space for our staff retreat - way too late, and without any inside scoop on the best spots. Things just weren't going my way. Everyone kept saying I was too late, or I didn't have the right codes, or we weren't the right type of organization to make that kind of reservation. Finally, I made my 7th phone call of the day. Without thinking, I blurted out that I was new to the university, and that I was just trying to make a reservation without really knowing what to do.

"Welcome!" the voice said on the other line. "I know what it's like being new here. I've had years to figure it out. I'm going to help you as much as I possibly can." 

I was so grateful that someone was willing to empathize with me for a second, remember what it was like to be in my shoes, and pitch in to use his power for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment