Monday, January 28, 2013

The Dog Days are Over

Today was just one of those days. I awoke really hoping for a snow day - or at least a delay. The day just went downhill from there. Everyone and everything irritated me. Then, I had my moment in ballet tone tonight. I was grumping to myself that I couldn't wait for the class to be over - I was really struggling, my friend was killing it beside me, and I was realizing way too late that I should have waited until after class to eat that last piece of my mother's amazing cheesecake - when the teacher told us to get into a downward dog pose to stretch. No big deal, right? Well, it has been a pretty big deal for me to balance on my hands and feet as of late. I have become rather accident-prone in the past couple of years. First, I slipped and fell on the ice, breaking my right wrist. Last spring, cleaning up my classroom, I slipped and fell off of a student desk, and broke my left wrist. Seriously, who does that? Then, trekking in Nepal, I fell and sprained the already broken left wrist. So I've been avoiding all exercises, gym classes, or yoga classes that involved any kind of wrist weight-bearing activities. However, tonight, when the teacher told us to get into the downward dog, I just went for it. At that exact moment, Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days Are Over" started playing, and I realized that I was doing the exercise pretty much pain-free.




No comments:

Post a Comment