Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"New Year's Resolution? No, I wouldn't say that."

A conversation I overheard between two women whilst waiting for Zumba class to begin tonight:

"Hey, haven't seen you for a while!"
"Yeah...things got pretty busy in December..."
"So, you're back? New Year's Resolution?"
"New Year's Resolution? No, I wouldn't say that."
"Oh? You wouldn't say that?"
"Once you say that, you're destined to fail!"

Interesting. There are several definitions of "resolution" on Merriam-Webster, but one that stood out to me today was: "resolution: the act of determining". The word determining seems to final to me, and I guess resolve does as well. Maybe that's why New Year's Resolutions don't tend to work; they're too rigid. They don't allow for human error. But then we'd all go making resolutions half-way, like, "I'll go to the gym...when I'm feeling good." "I'll make sure to eat healthy...except when I'm going out with my friends." "I'll be sure to save some money...except when I really need something."

I don't have an amazing solution to New Year's Resolutions. Every January 1st, I make them, and I don't know if I actually remember them come December 31st.

What do you guys think about New Year's Resolutions? If you respond in the comments below, then I'll know I at least have one reader :).

On a somewhat related note, Zumba was awesome tonight. I highly recommend gym dance classes. Where else do you get to work up a serious sweat, pretend to be a good dancer, and get your groove on with a bunch of ladies (and sometimes a token man)?

8 comments:

  1. I never make New Years resolutions. That's just when you have to write a new number at the end of a date. In my mind, a new year starts just after Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first person to comment on my blog, Lis! I should have thought of a prize :). Ah yes, after Labor Day, if you're a teacher, there's always the start of a new school year - a perfect time of course to set all kinds of intentions and declarations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to big on New Year's resolutions per say, but I have always been able to keep promises I make to myself. These promises occasionally pop into my head throughout the year, which in my case makes New Year's resolutions irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Labaron, I think that's awesome. Maybe most people (including myself) have trouble keeping those promises they make to themselves, so New Year's seems like a good time to re-examine those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I beat Labaron! Am I really the first to comment at all? I should get a prize. Don't worry, you can give it to me Sunday evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problem with resolutions is that it adds distance between you and the end goal. Instead of going to the gym because you feel great after or because of a desire to be healthy, 'because you said you would' sounds like a lousy source of motivation. This, of course coming from someone who did NOT make it to the gym once this week....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point, Chau. It's hard to feel positive or motivated when you are just trying to adhere to something you said you would do in the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete