Tuesday, January 8, 2013

“Can you see the sunset real good on the West side? You can see it on the East side too.” S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders

I'm the kind of person who is consistently running late. I will speed walk frantically, checking my watch every two seconds to see if I've miraculously made it two or three blocks in a minute. I also tend to lie to myself - and others. "Sure, I'm ten minutes away." "I'm just running out the door." I'm not intentionally lying. I like to think that I'm envisioning a world in which I really AM ten minutes away, or a world in which I really AM just running out the door. You get the picture. Always rushing around, this one. So today, I was frantically booking it to an appointment. Suddenly, I looked up and saw an amazing sunset. I made myself stop - completely, and for a good five minutes I enjoyed the sunset. Sunsets make me think of two things: camp, and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. To me, some of the most beautiful sunsets only exist in Maine. In The Outsiders, the sunset is used kind of as an equalizer. Even though these kids have such rough lives, and are on opposite sides of a feud, they are all linked through the sunset. So, today, I watched a sunset, and wondered if everyone else could see it too. Oh yeah, and I didn't make it to my appointment on time.

Did anyone watch the sunset today?

No comments:

Post a Comment