Monday, February 18, 2013

Who will buy the roses no one wanted on Vday?

When I was in the 8th grade, I landed a small solo in the musical Oliver. I was the rose seller, so my sole singing line was, "Who will buy my sweet red roses, two blooms for a penny?" I was reminded of this when I walked into CVS this evening, and saw all the discounted flowers by the front window that no one had claimed for Valentine's day. Unlike Christmas or Halloween decorations, flowers that didn't sell on Valentine's day don't really have a great chance of being scooped up and stored in the attic until next year. There was a big sign with them that said ALL FLOWERS 50 % OFF, but no one seemed to even be glancing at them. Looking at the picture, you can see that someone even thought it was a good place to put down a Dr. Pepper. Poor, sad flowers. So my unique moment of today involved me singing (obviously louder than I thought), "Who will buy the roses no one wanted on Vday" to the tune of Oliver and the checkout clerk who was supervising the self-check out line giving me a weird look.  



No comments:

Post a Comment