Thursday, February 7, 2013

Alumni

One of the most rewarding parts of being a teacher is seeing what kind of people your former students become. My very first 8th grade students are now freshmen in college. Via Facebook, I've been able to keep tabs on some of them. Every time they post that they are studying, I give myself a little pat on the back. Totally because of me. Every time they post something inappropriate, I seriously consider calling their moms. In all seriousness, though, it's so amazing to see where my middle school alumni are, and what they are doing. At my current school, I'm really lucky because most of them come back to visit. Even though during their 8th grade year, they act like they can't wait to leave, I always tell them that they'll be back to visit sooner or later. Today, out of the blue, I hear, "Tr. Julie! Tr. Julie!" and a former student rushes over and gives me the biggest hug. She's a sophomore in high school now, and is so happy. She's doing really well in school, has tons of friends, and seems so confident in who she is. And she wanted to tell me! That moment really made my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment