Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Read Across America

This week is Read Across America week, due to this Saturday being Dr. Seuss' birthday. Today, two of my 3rd graders stopped me in the hall, and demanded that I watch them sang a song they will sing for their "Grandfriends" on Friday. Yes, apparently now even the word "Grandparents" is politically incorrect. Excuse me while I resist the urge to rant about how sensitive people are these days...we call Halloween "Autumn Festival", Christmas "Winter Festival", etc, etc. The other day I was doing some yoga moves with my 3rd grade students to get them moving, and one student piped up and said, "Yoga is against my religion!" But I digress. Back to those singing 3rd graders. I don't remember the exact lyrics of the song, but I remember a couple:

"Read across America...
From sea to shining sea...
Reading is really cool...
Exercise your mind..."

The point is that in that one moment, I got so caught up in their excitement. During a tough day, I was completely lifted up by these little people who knew exactly what was important to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment