Sunday, March 10, 2013

You are Turkish?

As I've mentioned, I traveled to Turkey almost two years ago, and continue to be friends with several people I traveled with. Today, at a Turkish restaurant with my friends, I had an amazing moment. While in Turkey, we took some Turkish lessons. Of course I've forgotten most of the very confusing language, but I can pronounce certain items on the menu with a somewhat acceptable Turkish accent. When I finished ordering, the waiter jokingly asked if I was Turkish. We all laughed, and told him all about our trip. He grew up in Istanbul, and was so happy to talk about Turkey. For the rest of the meal, we kept sneaking in little "pleases" and "thank-you's" in Turkish, and he appreciated it so much. It's those little moments that make traveling continue to be so rewarding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment