Saturday, March 30, 2013

In the dark

My family celebrated my dad's birthday a couple days early this evening, and my mom and I made a key lime pie. At desert time, we realized we had no heavy cream to make the whipped cream topping, so I offered to go out and buy some.

In DC, we live on a cul-de-sac with stairs making a shortcut down to the main road with the market. In the daytime, it's a walk in the park.

At nighttime, it looks like this (with the flash):


Yikes. For a moment, I panicked. It was completely pitch black, and I seem to have a penchant for falling and hurting myself even in broad daylight. I also just finished reading Blindness by Jose Saramago (featuring a world in which blindness is an epidemic) and to put it lightly, the book really freaked me out about losing my sight. I regretted not bringing a flashlight.

Then, I remembered that I have a flashlight app on my phone. My grandma marveled frequently throughout this past week that the world is so caught up in these devices, and she's right. As a former camper and camp counselor, I felt almost silly using a flashlight app instead of the real thing. I know I need more distance from my phone.

But...it sure works in a pinch.






No comments:

Post a Comment