Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spinning a moment

I'm just going to say it. I'm really bad at spinning. Not twirling around in circles - I'm sure I would rock at that. I'm talking about those newfangled stationary biking classes that are supposed to magically burn billions of calories in a short amount of time. Maybe it's the fact that I've never quite mastered positions 1, 2, and 3 on the bike. Maybe I don't have enough of an imagination to picture climbing hills when the bike isn't actually moving. Perhaps I'm too tall for a spin bike.


Oh, yeah, and I have to confess something. Whenever the spin instructor tells me to turn the resistance knob up one full turn, I still don't know what that means. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the knob in question looks like this:


I mean, couldn't they add some numbers or something to that? Sometimes they tell me to turn it halfway. Really??

Don't worry, the moment of my day is coming. It literally WAS a moment. A moment in everyday life is fleeting. Moments fly by, and turn into hours, days, weeks, years, etc. That's one of the reasons I started this blog in the first place - to capture those moments. 

Well, in spin class today, when I just thought I couldn't take it anymore, the instructor told us we had to sprint for a full minute. "It's only a minute, guys!! You can do it! Push it out! Just a minute!" At that point, I was sweating beyond belief (thankfully, he had mercifully turned off the lights), and fully believed that I couldn't move another muscle.

I don't know if it was the peer pressure of the other spinners (they looked intense), the instructor pacing around the class, or the upbeat music, but I SPRINTED out that minute. For those 60 seconds (and I truly felt every single second), I blocked out everything else and just concentrated on continuing to move. And when it was over, I literally almost fell off my bike.

2 comments:

  1. But felt AMAZING, right?? Such the best feeling: pushing past what you think you can endure to realize you're stronger than you think :)

    ReplyDelete