Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pass the bunny bait?

Today my mom and I attended an Easter party in my grandma's residence. Well, the word party might be stretching it a bit. The party consisted of 15 individuals sitting silently around a long table festooned with chocolate and Easter eggs. I tried to liven up the party by shaking hands and introducing myself. However, after the perfunctory pleasantries (who I was, the warm weather, and how they were feeling), the conversation lagged. I couldn't tell if the problem was that they couldn't hear me or that they just didn't know what to say. It was awkward, to say the least.

Even the arrival of the Easter Bunny didn't help much. My mom made me take this picture.


A bit later, the activities coordinator brought out some bowls of what she called "bunny bait", basically a mixture of chocolate eggs, pretzels, popcorn, and other assorted trail mix items. I was seated near the front of the table, and I automatically started to pass the first bowl of bunny bait to the woman on my right. Maybe it was all of my years of camp training, but it seemed like the right thing to do. The activities coordinator told me that I should keep my bowl. She would take care of delivering each individual portion to each resident.

However, at that point, it was too late. I had passed a couple bowls to my right, and chaos started to ensue. 

"WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?" 
"PASS THE BOWLS DOWN!" 
"WHAT?!" 
"PASS THE BUNNY BAIT DOWN!"
"WHAT??!"
"NO, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KEEP THE BUNNY BAIT!"

Finally, one older lady burst out laughing, and everyone had a chuckle at the mess we had made of the bunny bait system. Even the activities coordinator cracked a smile. 

I certainly know how to liven up a party.


No comments:

Post a Comment