Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Scone optimism

I tried baking scones again (why, oh why do I bake?). I used frozen fruit, and when I pulled them out of the oven after about 5 minutes, there was this liquid at the bottom of the pan (even though I had defrosted the berries first). The scones were sizzling. My extreme oven didn't help matters.

"At this rate, they're going to burn to a crisp," I said to L. "I should transfer them to another pan and coat it with flour."

"Oh, I'm sure they'll be okay where they are," L said. I fumed. Why, I thought, do men continually assume things will turn out fine, when women are the ones who try to problem-solve and guess every possible outcome?

"Or they'll burn," I said. 

"Okay, pessimist," L said.

"I'm not being a pessimist..." I said. "I'm being a realist."

Just to prove my point, I decided to take all but one scone off of the "burning" tray, and put both trays back into the oven - the new tray lined with flour and all but one scone, and the lone scone on the sizzling pan.

Sure enough, guess which scone was the only one that didn't burn? I guess sometimes it pays to be an optimist. 






No comments:

Post a Comment