Saturday, December 21, 2013

Am I really right?

This evening, walking the streets of Philadelphia with my friends and their four year old daughter, I told everyone we had five more blocks to go until we reached the restaurant. "No, we have six!" the little girl said. I think originally meant just to be silly. I thought about it for a moment. "Actually, you're right!" I said. She looked at me for a moment, almost as if she thought I was pacifying her. "Am I really right?" she asked. She looked so proud to have been proven right. I usually underestimate the distance and time it takes to get somewhere (most of my friends know this well, because I am usually late), and it took a perceptive four year old to make me realize that tonight. On the way home, I told everyone we were two blocks away. "You mean three!" the little girl said. Of course, she turned out to be right again. Really right.

No comments:

Post a Comment