Thursday, May 23, 2013

Saying hello to strangers

Today was one of those 14 hour days with exciting events. In the morning, we had our Global Citizenship Day concert, and in the evening our families graduated from our family program. All in all, it was a success.

However, as a teacher it's hard to not get annoyed by the little things when you spend so much time with the same students. Those special event days are the days you really feel like you are babysitting. You walk students over to the theater, you walk them back, you arrange the details of their lunch, you listen to them complain that their concert shirt doesn't fit correctly. In short, you name it, it happens.

So, I was walking my 22 students over to the theater, and one student kept yelling at the top of her lungs, "HI" to all the cars passing by. I finally told her in exasperation that she shouldn't be yelling at strangers.

"But Tr. Julie," she said. "Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet." I begrudgingly realized in that moment that she was right. I talk all the time about approaching strangers, and I couldn't allow her the same?

BUT - I don't yell at them. That, possibly, is the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment