Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crazy flowers in the dark

Today was kind of a crazy day. I worked for my family program until 9:30, making my work day 14 hours long. I purchased greeting cards for two families in the program, promptly lost them, had to go buy replacements, and then found them. As I said in my broken Spanish to the custodian when she asked how I was; "Un poco loco". Yes, I was a bit crazy today. Notice that I can't even put the effort into finding synonyms for crazy right now.

So when I dragged myself home at 9:30, having formed blisters on both of my heels due to my feet being unused to wearing shoes without socks, I was not in the most friendly mood. I got close to my gate, and noticed other people walking in.

One woman just moved in downstairs, and I had met her previously. Her husband and daughter were new to me. I tried to muster up some enthusiasm and a warm greeting. It may have fallen a bit flat.

"Do you want to see the flowers we just planted?" her daughter asked. She may have been around 9 years old.

The first thought that popped into my head was that it was crazy to look at flowers in the dark. But then I noticed the look on her face, and the way she was practically bouncing up and down with excitement.

"Sure, let's see those flowers!" I said. She almost dragged me across the courtyard, and we looked at the flowers. I couldn't see much, but I told her they looked beautiful.

The joy on her face at that moment made the stresses of my day float away. I realized that maybe if I look hard enough, it's really not that crazy to try and see flowers in the dark. 




No comments:

Post a Comment