Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Boccelism Bunch

So, I joined a Major League Bocce Ball team. Normally, when I think of bocce ball, I think of something like this:


However, apparently bocce ball has become a rather hip sport to play amongst the younger set. I think it may have something to do with the fact that one does not have to be particularly athletic to play, or that, at least in Philly, one can drink openly whilst playing.

The game was a blast, and we won by a point, but the moment that struck me was at the beginning of the game. From the questions that everyone on both teams was asking each other, it became suddenly clear that no one was certain exactly HOW one plays bocce ball. 

I've always been a bit wary of playing sports because I'm not extremely coordinated or athletic. Bocce ball may just be the perfect sport for me. It's low-key, relaxed, competitive in a friendly way, and I'm not the only one who doesn't know exactly what I'm doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment