Sunday, April 28, 2013

Perfectionism

Today my mom and I went to go paint pottery at one of those "Made by You" places where you pick out a piece, glaze it, and then pick it up a week later.

I chose a vase, painted it yellow (my favorite color) and decided to use a stamp to make designs in orange on top.



Simple, right? Think again. This is what ended up happening instead:


And this:


 Also this:


I was actually getting upset about this. How hard was it, I asked myself, to press a stamp down on a vase and have it actually turn out right? No matter how little or how much paint I applied, how firmly I pressed the stamp into the vase, or how long I left the stamp on there - I just couldn't get it to look how I thought it was going to look.

Finally, I got some wet paper towels, smeared everything together, and went with the streaked look instead.


It certainly won't be perfect, but in that moment I felt better already. I can't wait to see how it turns out.


No comments:

Post a Comment