Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Girl Meditating, Interrupted

I've noticed that my mornings have been getting more and more hassled. I usually wake up, hit the snooze button, read work emails in bed that stress me out, and doze until I'm officially running late and have to practically run the 5 blocks it takes me to get to work on time.

This morning, I resolved to turn over a new leaf. I decided to set my timer for 5 minutes, sit in my comfy, oversized chair, close my eyes, and put forth my very best effort towards clearing my mind, so to speak.

I haven't had much luck with meditation in the past. During the end of yoga classes where we were asked to push away all thoughts, I would always be thinking of the nachos and beers my friend and I would consume shortly thereafter.

Still, today I was hopeful. In my mind, I was about to become something like this:

I took a deep breath, set the timer, and closed my eyes. It's going to be a long 5 minutes, I thought.

Almost immediately, my phone rang. My friend needed a suitcase to borrow for her plane that was leaving in a couple of hours (she just moved, so she didn't realize her suitcase wasn't at the back of her closet).

I have to admit that part of me was relieved to be off the hook for this morning's meditation session. However, I did feel the full irony of my situation. At the very moment that I was supposed to be feeling the most zen and grounded, instead, I was pawing through my cluttered closet for my suitcase.  

No comments:

Post a Comment