Monday, April 1, 2013

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers

As the infamous Blanche once said, "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers." While Blanche may have uttered this ironically, sometimes I really do. Strangers mailed me my wallet when I've lost it. Strangers offered to drive me to the emergency room when I broke my wrist. Strangers let me lie down in a restaurant in Nepal when I suddenly came down with a fever, and even brought me a blanket and a pillow.

Today, strangers let me into the DMV to renew my license when I arrived at 4:14 at a place that closes at 4:15. Usually when I think of the DMV, I picture something like this:

It's one of my least favorite places to go. However, when I realized while driving all week in Louisiana that my license had expired two months ago (whoops), I remembered that I needed to go in to get a new photo. Since the DMV's hours are almost exactly the same hours that I work, I knew I needed to get there fast. 

When I arrived, breathless and beet red, instead of turning me away, the woman told me I had just made it. It would have been so easy for her to dismiss me! In that moment, my whole perspective of the DMV shifted just a bit. 

It may have not been the best idea to take my new driver's license photo after running 8 blocks...


No comments:

Post a Comment