Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Burnt out copiers

During my first year as a teacher in Philadelphia, we received one ream of paper for the entire year. Sound like a lot? Not so much...

Now I know that it sounds terrible in this technological day and age, but I'm going to let you in on a secret: teachers use a lot of paper. Not having access to that paper is pretty rough. I don't even want to go into how much I spent on paper and at Kinko's (of course the copier never worked at school) that year. The numbers ain't pretty.

When I switched to my current school, I was awed by the fact that we had basically unlimited use to copier paper - and copiers - at school. The trade-off of course is that the copiers usually misfeed from overuse. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go through a ten step process just to find where the paper has jammed.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the kiddos, and everyone is, shall we say, a bit cranky. The energy and excitement of the students is at its peak, and in contrast, the energy and excitement of the teachers is at an all time low. It's not a good combination.

Walking through the halls today, the copier technician (whom I have seen on countless occasions at school this year) was once again taking apart the entire copier. Take a look:



...and....


In that moment, the copier was clearly stating loudly and clearly, "I'M DONE. FINITO. NO MAS. DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET ANY MORE WORK OUTTA ME."

Every teacher's current sentiment exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment