Sunday, July 28, 2013

Creating calm

Lately, life has been moving at light speed. I got my dream job, but now I have to figure out how I'm going to do the best job I possibly can in a very short amount of time. I taught all year, and I don't have a summer to recuperate. My schedule seems packed from morning until night, but I can't seem to get anything done. I feel pulled in a million different directions. I think the reason I felt the need to sleep for so long this weekend stems from the fact that my body was literally shutting down.


At my Sati class this morning, my instructor was talking about what we don't say for fear of judgement. I find that I tend to hold a lot back. On this blog, to my friends, to my co-workers, etc.

What am I not saying? If I'm really being honest, I'm not saying that I feel completely out of my league in my new job. I have so much to learn, and so much to prove. Several times in the past week I have felt unqualified or undeserving.

As always, my mentor's blog came at the perfect time. She wrote about how to cope when feeling overwhelmed. One of her suggestions when feeling overwhelmed is to create a place of calm in the moment, taking 5 deep breaths and thinking of 5 good things in the moment.

In the moment...

1) I helped my friend move today and got to be a small part of a big step in her life.
2) Even though I felt lousy this morning, I still got up and started moving.
3) I had an honest conversation with someone I truly care about today about my fears and worries - and ended up feeling a bit better.
4) I got caught in two monsoon-like rains today and still came out smiling.
5) I have friends and families who are constantly checking in on me to make sure I'm okay, and who are rallying around me to make sure I succeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment