Sunday, May 11, 2014

Getting back on the horse

The thing about taking a break from anything is that the longer you do it, the easier it becomes. Those times when I've been a gym-goer (you notice I say "those times"), I haven't wanted to miss one day until....well....I miss that one day. Then the next day becomes easier, and the next day I barely think about it and then I start wonder when the last time was that I actually went to the gym. Hmm, when's the last time I went to the gym?


So, while a bit over a month ago the idea of not blogging every day seemed inconceivable...


...the longer I went without blogging, the more reasons I came up with not to do it. 


Sure, I was busy. Since I last saw all of you, I was pretty sick (this cartoon epitomizes exactly what I looked like, hair and all)....

Things have been a bit crazy at work...


I moved out of my home for the past 7 years (that's not even all of the boxes)....


...and moved in with this guy :)...


Yet the real reason I kept putting off blogging was because the longer I went without doing it, the more I psyched myself out. I kept saying to myself that I wouldn't blog until I had a week of posts lined up, or that I clearly shouldn't blog if I hadn't had time to cook that week, or that I definitely couldn't blog until I clearly understand the current front page of the NY Times. 

And you know what? At that rate, I was probably never going be fully prepared to blog again - at least not from my impossible standards. But the simple truth is that I love it. I love writing something every day - or at least 5 times a week - even if it's not always Shakespeare. I love connecting with my friends and family near and far and (hopefully) some readers who only know me from this blog. 

I may however have pigeonholed myself in a bit with my stringent weekly topics which of course involved me reading one book a week, being prepared to blog about a recipe weekly and writing an entire op ed each week. As my amazing mother (Happy Mother' Day, Mom!) said in her ever tactful way when I presented my idea, "That's very ambitious!"

So, I can't tell you exactly what to expect from me moving on, but you can catch me here, Monday through Friday, every week folks, saying something. Hopefully it'll be something you can relate to, or laugh at, ponder or debate. 

And, in keeping with my photo of the week post, I have a few pretty amazing ones to catch you up on. A cat being walked on a leash...


A dog sitting in a bike basket (it's hard to see, but the dog is really dressed up)...


....and of course a man with the longest beard I have ever seen. I wish I had gotten up the nerve to take this picture from the front. See how his beard goes over his shoulders??!


With that, I'm back on the proverbial blogging horse. Yeah, it's not a perfect metaphor...yet if I analyzed every metaphor to find the perfect one I might not see you all for another two months, so I'm going for it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment